Pages

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Tour of Italy(Well, the parts we saw!) Part 1


Since I did such a lazy job of updating my blog for way to many months I have never written anything about my trip. So I have decided to take you on a little tour of it. Mostly for my own memory and so I can have it all recorded for when I finally do scrapbook it! Seriously want to get this done. But it may be Summer before I do! So I will do just a little bit at a time. Here goes.

November 2008

Chris and I said goodbye to our darling children(this was the most nerve racking part for me!) and flew from Bham to Phoenix. Where we spent 2 days shopping, seeing friends and family. I spent a great night out with my friend Laura. We ate dinner, shopped, and generally acted silly. Just like old times! OUr plane left at 8pm ish from Phoenix to London Heathrow. My sister T, my brother in law J, Chris and I impatiently waited to load the plane. Once on the plane, my BIL dutifully handed out prescription sleeping pills(don't judge me) and this is all I remember. I kid you not. I do not remember taking off , I do not remember a meal(which apparently I denied), I do not remember anything. Until about 2 hours before the plane landed. If you ever get a chance to fly like this. Go for it! Felt great. I was totally rested if not a little disoriented!

Heathrow, London Airport -- 6 hours layover. Nothing more to be said other than, we played the DS(brain age game), Jason practiced Airport Yoga, read, ate, and looked at each other. Miserable!!! Next time get a day layover and go get a hotel and at least see some of London!!!

Next flight was from London to Rome. This was about a 3.5 hour flight. It was night time could not see anything, and I could not sleep. So I read, but I was so ready to be off planes!

We arrived in Rome(Fiumicino) airport in the middle of night, which is a little creepy. Not the best thing to do in my opinion. We were bombarded by people trying to give us a lift and all were looking pretty shady. But who knows. We hailed a cab out front and took a 30 minute drive to our hotel. This was one of the scariest car rides I have ever been on. There are not alot of rules when driving in Rome. But these are the ones I think they have.

Rule #1 - Just go, don't look, just do it. And do not make eye contact. Look straight ahead and go. This applies to walking and driving. If you do not make eye contact with the oncoming cars they have to stop for you.
Rule #2- Do Not stop, only yield.
Rule #3- Have good breaks for when you need to stop which only happens when someone makes eye contact and continues to walk, thus breaking rule #1
Rule #4- Know a few shouts, hand jestures and make sure your horn works. You need these for the dumb people that break rule #1.
Rule #5- It is perfectly acceptable to rear end someone to squeeze into a parking spot. Which is why they all drive mini cars in the first place.

Some how though, we arrive safely at our hotel. The Kennedy Hotel. Thats all for now. I will give you another installment later!

No comments: