Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Recycling Rain



The kids and I have a little project going. We have rain collectors all over the porch. With all the plants and gardens around this place, we should be doing this and more.


After doing a little research I found out that :
  • even though the earth is 2/3 water, only 3/10 of one percent is suitable for domestic use - and here we are dumping it on our plants!
Why? Because we are misinformed, don't care, or just plain lazy.


Well, I have been thinking alot about being more green lately and I decided to get the kids involved. You know what ? They had so much fun! We set up as many rain collectors as possible on the back porch. Plastic jugs, buckets ,empty coffee containers, and even opened up the coolers did the trick.

  • an inch of rain off of a roof of a average size house can produce 5,000 gallons of rainwater.
Thats a TON of water!!!!

Now obviously I am not set up to collect huge amounts but we collected several gallons today. We watered all the plants in the house and are set up to water them again in a few days. I am thinking of looking into a rain barrel for my parents though. It really could come in handy for them.


No comments: