Pages

Monday, February 08, 2010

Catching up on the weekend.......

Where do my weekends go?  J. was off for 4 days because of the rain and yet we spent hardly any of it together and I am not sure what I did.  We had 1 or 2 kids spending the night somewhere else at least one night of it.  I think they really enjoyed not having to travel anywhere.  They could just do whatever.  Except for the blasted cold weather.....Sick of it. Saturday I got to do this.....a new toy Sig Sauer 22 ......for practicing my tomb raider, assassin skills....Or for when that WILD animal comes into the yard......ha(thats an inside joke)
Don't you think I have great form? Grunt.........ha! Thats okay....the Pepsi can is dead. 
Okay....Never thought in a million years that I would get into shooting.  But something just happens when you start shooting!  Its a total turn on....and forget it if you actually hit the target.  I hit the Pepsi can like 4 times and I was HOOKED.  Watch out Lara Croft.  I could do this all day.  Need some earplugs though.......because thanks to my psychology class I know that the ringing in my ears is because I have damaged the hair folicles inside my eardrums......damn. I do like it babe......but I am not wearing it strapped to my leg while I run (no matter how sexy that might be)  Lets see......Oh yes I cooked. I got in one of those baking moods.  You know the ones you get....No? Well Ky was having a superbowl get together.  So I got bake happy.  And a mean craving for Chinese Chicken Salad.  Thankyou Lolo for getting me hooked on this so long ago!  So I will leave some recipes today.

Chinese Chicken Salad
Ingredients: 1 head of Cabbage, Coleslaw dressing(I buy this already made), ramen noodles, 2 Cans of tysons chicken
Shred cabbage(I like my leafy, not shredded line coleslaw), Add in chicken,  stir in enough dressing to cover but not make it too wet, add salt and pepper to taste, Sprinkle top with ramen noodles. 
Optional: Add almonds and baconbits.  Yummy.
2nd option: add mandrin oranges.....Which I do not like but that is what the original calls for. 
3rd. option:  Add in seasoning packet from ramen noodles. 

Now I know I have varied from Laura's original recipe......maybe she will chime in here and set me straight!!!! 

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Ingredients


4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.

2.In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.

3.Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.

Options:  I think through trial and error some extra honey or perhaps a mashed banana would make these a little better.  They are good but came out a tiny bit to dry.  Still good though.  I also took some and drizzled the top with bakers chocolate.  (almond bark)


A note on Almond Bark:  I have been using this for years so we are friends.  But here are some tips.  Always heat on med.  Stir constantly.  Do not have water in hands, in pot, or on fork or spoon you are using to stir.  I like a fork because it makes cool stripes when you drizzle. 
See......I made pretzels too.

It looks cooler to make white stripes as well.  But I just had dark chocolate.  Now to make these you simply lay pretzels out on wax paper.  Melt Almond Bark(whatever color you decide)  You can also use those colord Wilton Candy disks. Drizzle with fork......You can dunk and cover completely but a little too sweet for me. J got in on the action as well.....The things that entertain.......

Think he is getting used to my picture taking.
I also made Chocolate no bake cookies.  Which happen to be my favorite cookies in the whole world!!!
Chocolate PB Oatmeal No Bake Cookies
Ingredients


2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
3 cups quick cooking oats

Directions

1.In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cocoa, milk and margarine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, peanut butter and oats.

2.Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow cookies to cool for at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container.

Dear friends please heed the boil for 1 minute direction.  set a timer.  Do not go over the timer.  They will not set!  I set my oven timer as soon as I see boiling.  Also sometimes the humidity gets these. 

Okay enough cooking....Its not the holidays anymore.  I have gotten to carried away!  My waiste line can not handle this!

So back to Monday......Lots to do this week.  Lots.  Its Mardi Gras Yall!  No I can't do it.  You guys.  Ky and I set sail on our float to Mobile Friday.  Totally Ecstatic. 


No comments: