Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Vino

Vino......its a passion. Its a love affair that never breaks your heart. I am lucky to have friends that share this passion. Always on the hunt for something exquisite a few of us stopped to get some the other day. We were in need of a good red......something we could not get here "in these parts". Sorry, I have a hard time leaving out the small isolated southern town inuendos. Now friends, I understand the difference between say a 6$ bottle and a 30$ bottle. Lets face it though.....I would go broke if I spent that much on a bottle especially since 2 friends can knock a bottle out in two glasses. Depending on the mood. That being said , I keep it in the 10-14$ range and its fine. Of course the Alabama alcohol taxes are outrageous! So that 10-14$ bottle is more like a 6-10$ any where else. Anywho. I have my favorites, my everyday's if you will. Its all red though. When I started this journey I was all about White Zinfandel.....Beringer please. Oy. Was I wrong! Fast forward a few years or bottles later and I begin to acquire a taste for red. Yes people it is an acquired taste. Like sushi. Or so I am told....because I can't get enough of the stuff and I have felt that way since the first time I ate it. Back on subject. Red Wine. I was acquiring this taste and then I flew to Italy and I fell completely head over heels, don't care about anything else kinda love with Red. See the Italians believe in powerful flavor. Food is an event and you sit, you talk, you eat, you drink, you do it all over again and before you know it hours have passed. And your drunk. And you are in love with Red Wine. I wished I could remember some of the bottles we had there. Lets face it though it was 14 days of a red wine fog and statues(not really, the trip was out of this world amazing).
Anyway, I said all that to say this, I found some really fun bottles that I am enjoying. This is one:

It is slightly sweet and does not have a strong aftertaste. I am enjoying it and it went over well with the girls. Of course I am an Cabernet Sauvignon freak and I am always weary about trying cheap wines. You just never know what you are going to get. Which is why I stick to my favs and usually just pick up an odd bottle every now and then. Those odd bottles sometimes can make it onto my list though.
This one is next. I picked it up purely for the picture. Don't you just love it. I love this woman in all her "madness". Perfect name too. Ky and I could not resist. Its just been one of those weeks people.


This is one of my all time favorites. Its my"go to" wine. I just thought I would add it here. If you need a decent wine try it. It is good in Cabernet, Pinot Nior, and Shiraz. Tried them all and I give it the thumbs up. Let me warn you though, Ole Smokey Loon holds true to its name though. It will catch you off guard at first. It comes at you like a rush of smoke from a campfire. It settles in nicely though so don't judge to harshly on first taste. Ha.....you can even see a smidge of it on the label.....what can I say I am messy.

While I am at it I will show you my collection. This is what happens to my corks.

I love that jar. This is why. That jar is full of memories. That jar has friends near and far. That has yesterday, and months ago. That jar has Misti in it. My Mudbug. It has corks of Menage a Trois in it with it wasn't 3 it was the 4 of us.(Now before you guys get all dirty....its the name of a wine...Look it up) It has corks from time spent with an ex football player friend who turned me on to Shiraz and taught me the importance of dancing in the living room at 2am to "Come on Eileen", It has Kylene in it. Nights spent talking and laughing and planning the future. It has Josh in it. Bottles he bought just because he knew I would be here. Did I mention the beautiful stemless glasses the boy got me. KISSES.

You see it has life in it. It has good times and bad times. I love that.
"Here is to all the nights I can't remember with friends I will never forget"



and if you want to know how I am going to hold on to them well this is what I am going to do with them.


I am close, but I want a big board so going to hold out a little lonnger.


Have a good weekend my lovies. I know I will!

'Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me
Be they pastry or lobster or love
I'm just tryin' to get by bein' quiet and shy
In a world full of pushin' and shove

Because the wino and I know.....
Its a strange situation
Wild occupation
Living my life like a song.
Ciao friends!

1 comment:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Well...I have seen and heard of all of these. Oh...and tasted. Well haven't tasted the cupcake...but will now!

I love a good crisp cold white though. Maybe it is living in the heat of FL...maybe it is my sweet tooth. Reds I love are always cost prohibitive. Brought some great one's home from Buenos Aires...and cheap...I suggest you go!